Latest Posts

K is for Knives

“Alma” gets ready to clean fish at Smiths Inlet, BC ca.1929-1932. What might she need a knife for? Gulf of Georgia Cannery Society Archives, G2010.027.078.

L is for Lead Solder

Vacuum sealing machines were introduced into canneries to replace the dangerous and time-consuming practice that preceded it – a relief to cannery workers and consumers alike! Gulf of Georgia Cannery Society Archives, G2010.027.026.

M is for Mail Order Brides

The Murakami family house, as it stands on display today at the Britannia Heritage Shipyard, Steveston. Its original inhabitants were brought together through an unconventional form of matchmaking.

N is for Net Loft

A net loft crew is hard at work at the Gulf of Georgia Cannery plant. If the building was full of nets, where did all the salmon go? Gulf of Georgia Cannery Society Archives, CFC-3-18-6.

O is for Overfishing

Fishways located at Hell’s Gate, BC ca. 1950s, helped to direct salmon back to their spawning grounds after a man-made disaster blocked their path. Gulf of Georgia Cannery Society Archives, 1997.024.08.08.02.

P is for Parks Canada

A family birthday is celebrated, July 2011. The Gulf of Georgia Cannery Society and the Parks Canada Agency share a unique working relationship that keeps the Cannery’s doors open for future generations to learn about fishing on the West Coast.

Q is for Quota

There are plenty of fish in the sea! Or are there? It looks like those fish are actually awaiting processing at the Sunnyside Cannery, BC ca. 1903-1930. Salmon, contrary to previous belief, are an exhaustible resource. Find out what is being done differently today to protect the salmon and their marine habitat. Gulf of Georgia […]

R is for Rain Barrel

A cannery building at Sunnyside Cannery, BC, ca.1903-1930, is protected from fire by the barrels lined up on the roof. Traditional cannery buildings were notorious fire hazards. Gulf of Georgia Cannery Society Archives, 1997.017.024.

S is for Steveston

Steveston’s Methodist church, seen here in 1908, is located at the corner of Second Avenue and Chatham Street. Today it has been converted into the Richmond Hospital Auxiliary Thrift Shop and is a familiar sight to those who wait at the bus stop outside its doors. City of Vancouver Archives, Out.P.690, N.297.

T is for Tall Ships

With masts like this, it could only be a tall ship! “Tall ship” is the term used today for old-fashioned sailing ships, which actually came in a variety of different models depending on their purpose.